I wanted to take a moment to let you all know about an exciting program that Samuel’s is participating in: the Community Energy Challenge. We are saving a lot of money through energy efficiency improvements here, but they also work with homeowners. Right now the program is specifically looking to work with homeowners in Ferndale and the other small cities of Whatcom County and I wanted to make sure that you all knew that if you own a home here, you are able to participate.
So far the Community Energy Challenge has worked with more than 650 homes in Whatcom County and the results are impressive – the average home is saving more than $450/year in energy costs, and 28 full-time equivalent jobs have been created in our community. This is a real win-win.
Here is how it works:
- You sign up to get a home energy assessment, this costs $195.
- They give you a comprehensive report on how to save energy that is specific to your home. It helps to prioritize the most cost effective things. It also shows you how you can take advantage of up to $1500 in additional incentives, applicable utility rebates and other credits for each kind of project.
- You choose what work, if any, to do. If you choose to do any of the work, the $195 cost of the assessment is credited toward the project.
- The work is completed by private contractor.
- When the work is done, it is inspected for quality by a third party called the Building Performance Center.
People all over Whatcom County are getting new furnaces or heat pumps, insulating and weatherizing and even installing solar panels. This program was partially enabled by a Federal Grant that Lynden partnered with Ferndale to apply for. I would encourage you to check it out and sign up soon since these funds expire this summer. You can sign up and get more information HERE or call 360-676-6099.
AND, if you let them know that I sent you, they will send me a $20 refer-a-friend bonus and I will donate that money to one of my favorite non-profits – so it’s a win-win-win.